Tuesday 24 January 2012

Israeli Film "Footnote" Nominated for Academy Award

Israeli films are different from what I am used to. I also struggle with Hebrew which makes it hard to really get into some films. Sub-titles when available do help, but generally are not easy to see unless you are sitting in an auspicious location. That being said, there are some incredibly good films out there.

This past summer a friend and I went to the Jerusalem Theatre to see a new film. It was so popular that every seat was sold out~we literally got the last two vacancies! 

The movie we saw, of course was "Footnote". At the time, I was not aware that it had been nominated for any prizes as my main reason for going was to spend time with my friend. In my opinion it helps to know a bit about Israeli society to really get the most out of the movie, but even if one knows nothing about Israel, I think this film will grab your attention~right to the end. What I particularly enjoyed was the fact that it was not full of special effects, and relied solely on the story.

It is cleverly done, and will keep your attention to the end. Even then, you are waiting for more. For me, the nomination for an award is not so important as the fact that I was riveted to my sit for the entire time, and even weeks after we saw it, my friend and I were still talking about it.

It is interesting to note, that the Hebrew studies department, is not all religious scholars, which makes for a different approach to the texts in  many cases.

I am not holding my breath to see any award go to Israel, but I will give this film a thumbs up and encourage anyone who can to watch it. Here is the synopsis and trailer:

Footnote is the tale of a great rivalry between a father and son. Eliezer and Uriel Shkolnik are both eccentric professors, who have dedicated their lives to their work in Talmudic Studies. The father, Eliezer, is a stubborn purist who fears the establishment and has never been recognized for his work. While his son, Uriel, is an up-and-coming star in the field, who appears to feed on accolades, endlessly seeking recognition. Then one day, the tables turn. When Eliezer learns that he is to be awarded the Israel Prize, the most valuable honor for scholarship in the country, his vanity and desperate need for validation are exposed. His son Uriel, meanwhile, is thrilled to see his father’s achievements finally recognized but, in a darkly funny twist, is forced to choose between the advancement of his own career and his father’s. Will he sabotage his father’s glory? Footnote is the story of insane academic competition, the dichotomy between admiration and envy for a role model, and the very complicated relationship between a father and son.

No comments:

Israel, Jerusalem, Judaism, Zionism, Middle East, Aliyah, Conversion, and everything else that pops up