Sunday 19 June 2011

Amir Benayoun~Music With a Message

In a news brief from Arutz 7, I read that Israeli singer Amir Benayoun had released an album in Arabic and the Syrian opposition forces were playing it--a lot--in particular a song titled Zini. Some news articles claim he wrote Zini (also the name of the album) specifically for the Syrian opposition. The songs are based on the book of Kohelet. Local stores in Israel don't seem to be stocking Zini, but you can order it directly from his company,  Nevel Asor (Israel) number 08 610 5559. The company is not open on Shabbat or Jewish Holidays (Good for Them!)

Amir, whose father was born in the Jewish community of Algeria, is a popular musician who does not shy away from controversy.  He came under fire from the self-hating left when he released the song We Are Brothers (translation follows video) which contains harsh lyrics against Israelis/Jews who viciously attack the country.

In April 2011, Amir wrote Dust Yourself Off, and recorded it with the children’s choir of Itamar  for the Shloshim~observance of 30 days~since five members of the Fogel family were murdered by terrorists in their home on 11 March 2011. I still cry for these precious souls while the world continues to hail their barbaric slaughter as "justified".

His music is a rich blend of the middle-east and very easy to listen to. Below are the three songs mentioned above, for your enjoyment. You can also listen to many more of his tunes online.

We Are Brothers (Hebrew) Translation Below

I preserve your identity, I protect your children 
I put my life on the line for you and you spit in my face
After they failed to kill me from the outside you come and kill me from inside
I haven’t seen my mother in a month neither my son nor my house nor my wife
I always charge forward with my back to you [but] you sharpen the knife
more than anything, this thought burns my soul and you, 
how come you still don’t understand

I am your brother, you are an enemy you hate me 
I love [you] when I weep you laugh behind my back you are killing me,
why, you are my brother

I am the future you are the past and the present is broken between us
I go hungry for you you gorge yourself and over-imbibe
when my throat is dry you drink liquor my lips are always sealed for your safety
but you deliver me to the foreigner [ie. gentiles, Goldstone, NIF, Anat Kamm]

I am your brother, you act like an enemy Why? You’re my brother

[Narrator reads a prayer~used in Prayers for the IDF]:
He who blessed our forefathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob
May He bless the fighters of the Israel Defense Forces
Who stand guard over our land and the cities of our God
From Lebanon to the desert of Egypt
And from the Great Sea [Mediterranean] unto the approach of the Aravah
On the land, in the air, and on the sea
For it is the Lord your God who goes with you To battle your enemies for you to save you
Now let us say: Amen

Dust Yourself Off~Itamar Murders


Zini (Arabic)

No comments:

Israel, Jerusalem, Judaism, Zionism, Middle East, Aliyah, Conversion, and everything else that pops up