Sunday 27 February 2011

Sh'ma Yisrael~שמע ישראל

Sh'ma Yisrael~Hear Israel is known by every Jew. The commandment of saying Shema is fulfilled by reciting it in the shacharit (morning) and maariv (evening) services. 
 
This prayer is repeated many times during services, as in the musaf Amidah of Shabbat and holidays, when the Torah is taken out of the Ark on Shabbat and holidays, as a bedtime prayer, at various other times and it is part of the deathbed confessional--usually the last words on the lips of a Jew. 
 
This song does not use the actual words of the Sh'ma, but the sentiment is there. I love my country Israel, I love the IDF who stand between us and destruction, and I love the comfort  that can only be found in the daily prayers. For me the Sh'ma prayer is particularly comforting. and is the last words that leave my lips each night before I go to bed.
Shema Yisrael Adonai eloheinu Adonai ehad


No comments:

Israel, Jerusalem, Judaism, Zionism, Middle East, Aliyah, Conversion, and everything else that pops up