Sunday 3 May 2020

Independence Day in My Neighbourhood~Nof Zion

Looking Down From the Balcony
Since the lock down from the corona virus my community has striven to maintain a quality of life that includes neighbours checking on each other and offering aid when needed.

The families on the lower floors often play instruments and sing songs, and every day the men have their minyan for daily prayers while "distancing" themselves. 

They stand in their yards and on their balconies, and even without microphones we can follow along. I must say I do enjoy being able to sit in my front room or on the balcony and follow the prayers.
Har Habayit

I have lived here for several years now. The community is made up of  a mixture of young and old families, senior citizens, religious and not so religious. The people are warm but do not "get in your face" as sometimes happens when you live in close circumstances. I love my apartment and am very happy to be able to live in Jerusalem so close to the Old City.

One of my favourite things is the view! From every balcony we see Har Habayit, Har Zayteem  and over to the far right the security wall and in the far distance the lights of Jordan on a clear night. We are also overlooking Jabel Mukaber. The plus side of that is the regular fireworks displays. Particularly during the summer months we see very impressive displays most nights.

For Independence day the community set up speakers and flags and gave us all a public celebration while maintaining distancing.  While I am sure that everyone misses "personal contact" it is a wonderful thing to be able to feel connected as a community. While standing on our balconies we could hear and look around and see our neighbours taking part in this most important day for Israel~it was exhilarating! Am Israel Chai!!

Here is the video of Nof Zions Yom Ha'tzmaut Celebrations. Enjoy!

3 comments:

NITZAKHON said...

My close friend lives very near the main Shouk in Jerusalem. If I ever won the lottery that's where I'd buy an apartment. Not in a new high-rise but in a building with some history.

Orfan said...

I lived across from the shuk for years~great location but the room was a nightmare. My current apartment is the only affordable place I could find and I was lucky to get it. After years of living in a hovel it is great to be able to have windows and a roof that does not leak. Housing here is totally unreasonable compared to wages. You take what you can get and the getting is not easy. You would need a huge lottery win to buy in Jerusalem~and you would not get much for your money. All the best!

NITZAKHON said...

Like I said... lottery. A big one.

Be well, B"H.

Israel, Jerusalem, Judaism, Zionism, Middle East, Aliyah, Conversion, and everything else that pops up