Monday 7 September 2015

I Am My Beloved's~Rabbi Shmuel Braun

As we enter the month of Elul it is a time for reflection, and for many a list of "rules" to be followed. The shiur below is by a rabbi that I have been privileged to learn with and who has a unique perspective, Rabbi Shmuel Braun. Through friends, I was able to become better acquainted with the rabbi outside of class, at Shabbos meals and other events. I still recall the many hours of lively discussion and exchange of ideas that we all found so enjoyable.

Rabbi Braun was not only a teacher, but a friend. He helped us in our learning without making us feel embarrassed at our lack of knowledge. In all areas he made learning something that we were excited about~it was never a chore.

One thing that I found particularly interesting was his wide area of study. On his Blog, The Sense of the Ineffable you will find not only quotes from Torah and Tanya, but from Kierkegaard, Maimonides, Kant and Shakespeare (to name a few!). Rabbi Braun is very learned in many areas, including philosophy, and is always willing to engage in lively discussion on any topic~he loves to be challenged. He is now based in America and is greatly missed by many people here in Jerusalem.
The shiur below is on the meaning of the month of Elul. Rabbi Braun has an exciting perspective on how we should view this very important time leading up to Rosh Hashanah.


 I Am My Beloved's~A Shiur on the Month of Elul by Rabbi Shmuel Braun

No comments:

Israel, Jerusalem, Judaism, Zionism, Middle East, Aliyah, Conversion, and everything else that pops up