Wednesday 19 February 2014

Amir Benayoun~Another New Song~Hussein's Jerusalem

Last week I posted a new song by Israeli musician Amir Benayoun. His music is a true mix of middle-east and modern and appeals to everyone. He has a special talent for interpreting what is happening in our world and putting it into words and music. As I mentioned in an earlier post, he also sings in Arabic.

A few days ago, on Arutz 7, there was an article about Benayoun and another new song he has posted on his Facebook Page.

The song is a warning to Israelis that the Holy City of Jerusalem is being sold out by the leaders of Israel~in complicity with US President Obama. So true! The problem is nobody else is willing to state the obvious!

According to the article, on Arutz 7, the Hebrew references the song, Jerusalem of Gold~Yerushalayim shel Zahav, and Hussein refers to Obama's middle name

Note:
Jerusalem of Gold was based on a Basque folk melody and written by Naomi Shemer in 1967. The original song described the Jewish people's 2000-year longing to return to Jerusalem; Shemer added a final verse after the Six-Day War to celebrate Jerusalem's unification under Israeli control. 

With all due respect to Shemer, the best version of Yerushalayim shel Zahav (Jerusalem of Gold) in my opinion, was performed by Ofra Haza for Pa'amoney Hayovel (Jubilee Bells), the national celebration commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the establishment of the State of Israel, at Hebrew University Stadium, Jerusalem, Israel on Thursday, 30 April 1998 (See Below)

Amir Benayoun begins his song with Isaiah 66:10...

“Rejoice with Jerusalem, and be glad in her, all you who love her...”
  
Benayoun then continues...
because the prime minister and all his friends apparently gave it up a long time ago.
Rejoice with Jerusalem, and be glad in her,
as long it is possiblebecause it has been sold out behind our backs.
They are only putting on an act for show.
Rejoice with Jerusalem, and be glad in her, as long it is possible,
because Hussein from America wants it, and he is determined and cruel.

The song ends with Psalms 137:

“If I forget you, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget its skill.
Let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you;
if I do not place Jerusalem at the top of my joy.”

Amir Benayoun is one of my favorite musicians. If you are not familiar with his music~I recommend you go to YouTube and listen to his music. Do go to his Facebook Page and give him a "Like" as well!

Hussein's Jerusalem by Amir Benayoun



Yerushalayim shel Zahav~Ofra Haza (19 November 1957~23 February 2000)

Jerusalem of Gold~Yerushalayim shel Zahav~Ofra Haza
The mountain air is clear as water
The scent of pines around
Is carried on the breeze of twilight,
And tinkling bells resound.

The trees and stones there softly slumber,
A dream enfolds them all.
So solitary lies the city,
And at its heart...a wall.

Oh, Jerusalem of gold, and of light and of bronze,
I am the lute for all your songs.

The wells ran dry of all their water,
Forlorn the market square,
The Temple Mount dark and deserted,
In the Old City there.

And in the caverns in the mountain,
The winds howl to and fro,
And no-one takes the Dead Sea highway,
That leads through Jericho.

Oh, Jerusalem of gold, and of light and of bronze,
I am the lute for all your songs.

But as I sing to you, my city,
And you with crowns adorn,
I am the least of all your children,
Of all the poets born.

Your name will scorch my lips for ever,
Like a seraph's kiss, I'm told,
If I forget thee, golden city,
Jerusalem of gold.

Oh, Jerusalem of gold, and of light and of bronze,
I am the lute for all your songs.

The wells are filled again with water,
The square with joyous crowd,
On the Temple Mount within the City,
The shofar rings out loud.

Within the caverns in the mountains
A thousand suns will glow,
We'll take the Dead Sea road together,
That runs through Jericho.

Oh, Jerusalem of gold, and of light and of bronze,
I am the lute for all your songs.

No comments:

Israel, Jerusalem, Judaism, Zionism, Middle East, Aliyah, Conversion, and everything else that pops up