Tuesday 5 July 2011

Time Flies~But Better Late Than Never~Can I Say That?

Sometimes I get caught up in "life" and the days pass--too quickly. For me, time seems  to fly even faster here in Israel~seriously, many people who have made aliyah agree with me on this point!

Anyway--What I am trying to say is--two very important days have just passed that I have neglected to mention here. Because I think it is so vital to celebrate both days, I want to post my "two-bits worth"--even if it is late--call it Israeli time!

First, as a former Canuck, I admit that while I don't always agree with everything that may be happening back there, I still love my country of birth. Canada is a lot of different things to a lot of different people. For me there are too many to mention--wide open spaces, oceans, mountains, prairies--and that is just the land. I can list Hockey, Beer, Beavers,  Bears, The RCMP in their red tunics, the CanadarmDon Cherry, The Snowbirds---Does anybody out there remember The Golden Hawks?? or the Avro Arrow?? Most important are the awesome men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces, who have made us proud over the years and continue to do so.

There is so much more, but I think you get the picture. To all Canucks everywhere, Happy Canada Day!!--and in good Canuck tradition, crack a beer, sit back and enjoy this clip...(It's OK to Celebrate twice, eh)



Second but no less important is America's Fourth of July Celebrations. Canada and America share the longest border in the world, 8,891 kilometres (5,525 miles) long, including 2,475 kilometres (1,538 miles) shared with Alaska. We are "kind of like family"~we have our spats, but we'll stand together when danger raises it's head. Canadians shared the excitement of the First Man on the Moon, and cried for John F Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr. as if they were our own.

America is much more than Baseball, Apple Pie and the Statue of LIberty. For me it is the people--from the Armed Forces personnel who cross oceans to defend the rights of the defenseless, to the ordinary citizens who go to untold lengths to help even the lowliest of creatures from the animal world. I chose the story of a rescued Bald Eagle named Challenger both because the eagle is the national symbol of America, and because this clip gives a glimpse of what America comprises. Happy Birthday to all Americans~Wherever You May Be!

No comments:

Israel, Jerusalem, Judaism, Zionism, Middle East, Aliyah, Conversion, and everything else that pops up