Friday 7 September 2007

Tribute for the Pop-Star Tenor

While it has nothing to do with Judaism, I decided to include this small tribute. It was announced that Luciano Pavarotti (12 October 1935~06 September 2007), died today of pancreatic cancer at age 71.

Why the tribute? Well, I was never a true opera fan until I heard Pavarotti~his outstanding voice and zest for life made me a fan. I discovered a new genre of music that I had been missing, although I confess that there are some "opera voices" that make me cringe.

Pavarotti was the greatest tenor of our times. What made him so special was not just his voice, but his presence and personality. A man of humble origins he had a desire to bring opera to the "people" and during his life managed to reach people round the world. He sang with pop, rock and soul musicians and raised money for many worthy causes worldwide. One of his last performances was the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino Italy, where he showed that he was still the best (See 2nd Video Below).

His signature tune, Nessun Dorma, from Turandot (famous for the last verse where he declares "I will win, I will win") became the theme song for the 1990 World Cup in Italy~Go Ahead and Watch~You Might Even Enjoy It!

While he wasn't Jewish, I kind of like to think that Hashem will have a place for the golden voice of Luciano Pavarotti in the World to Come.

FIFA World Cup 1990~Pavarotti Brings Opera to the World



Torino Winter Olympics 2006~Nessun Dorma

No comments:

Israel, Jerusalem, Judaism, Zionism, Middle East, Aliyah, Conversion, and everything else that pops up